Thursday, December 18, 2008

An Evening with Ari Berk, Brian Froud and Alan Lee

Yesterday evening we went to a public lecture arranged by Plymouth University called: The Creative Influence of Dartmoor: An Evening with Ari Berk, Brian Froud and Alan Lee ...

Image courtesy of Plymouth University

Now anyone who knows me will know how much I admire Alan Lee and his illustration work. I have met him in the past, on 2 separate occasions, once when I visited him at his home on Dartmoor to do an interview and later at a book signing. I have several of Brian's books too and some signed copies, I admire his illustration work but have never met him. So as soon as I heard about this event I had to get my seat booked.

It was a lovely, relaxed and rather informal evening. Rather like a conversation between the 3 men, Ari Berk, Brian Froud and Alan Lee, who are friends and share a love of Dartmoor. It was interesting to see how the 3 men have been influenced by the magic of Dartmoor, all in different ways.

I found it a truly inspiring evening and hope to take that inspiration with me through my Christmas break and well into the New Year ...

Here are a few of my own photos of Dartmoor taken when we visited Wistman's Wood in 2006 ... I think we're due another visit soon ... ;-)



6 comments:

Gretel said...

I feel all homesick now...in a nice way. :)
I saw Alan Lee at a signing in Oxford, he was promoting one of his LOR artwork books and drew this incredible little pencil sketch of Gandalf on a page for a chap who I recognised as the 'head' of the Oxfords LOR society (complete with little glasses, beard, beer belly and real ale t-shirt, not at all steroetypical!) It was pretty amazing watching him draw.

Gail said...

Sorry to make you feel homesick Gretel - not my intention at all.

The thing that amazes me about Alan Lee is how down to earth and approachable he is ... but such a talented man.

Unknown said...

Very cool! thanks for sharing this, I love those all of their work so much. brilliant photos too!

Gail said...

Thanks Eric. 3 such great people in one room - I feel so lucky ;-)
-Gail X

tlchang said...

You *are* lucky! Wow - what a terrific sounding event. Dartmoor has always seemed impossibly, naturalistically romantic to me. One of the places I want to visit.

Gail said...

Thanks Tara. It's one of those things, being so close we don't seem to visit often enough ... but we're bothe feeling we need to do more walking and Dartmoor is ideal, so fingers crossed I'll be posting lots more photos of magical Dartmoor next year ...

Best wishes
-Gail X