Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas cards, holly & garlands ...

Hello all, yes I'm still around despite the lack of blog posts this year. I just wanted to share with you all a few Christmassey things .... so I got the camera out and took some photos of some of the things that have been happening around here recently ...

On Mondays I go to a botanical painting class, and as it's that time of the year we've been painting holly berries and leaves - here's my attempt:



After painting class this last Monday we set off on a little trip to Cotehele House in Cornwall for lunch, a stroll around the grounds ...



and to see the 60ft garland ...



made up of over thirty thousand flowers grown on the estate.

I've also made my Christmas cards with glittery sparkly snowflakes with a coat of shimmering embossing powder. These were an experiment as I've not use these techniques before. Some of you will receive a card in the post, but for those who don't here's what they look like ... although I don't think the photos do them justice ;-)



I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all a very Merry Christmas and all the best for a great 2010!

5 comments:

Gretel said...

Good to see you back Gail - and with such lovely pictures. I have a friend who is a botanical artist, (she's won medals for it) and I simply would not have the patience for it - such painstaking intricacy! You have been far more industrious than I, I feel like a complete lazybones in comparison. :)

Gail said...

Gretel - that's how I feel in comparison to you a great deal of the time ;-)

I actually enjoy the detailed work I just wish I had a room to call a studio so I could paint more often. At the moment if I want to paint at home it is usually with a board resting on my lap, which isn't ideal. It's nice to go out on a Monday morning to spend 2 hours painting, it's a good start to the week.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas
-Gail X

tlchang said...

Lovely holly. I keep wanting to take a botanical painting class. And then balance that with a class on very loose and spontaneous painting! :-) (I like pictures best with a bit of both!)

I did mail you a postcard today -even though it will be terribly late, but it's the thought... and all that.

Merry Christmas.

CASPER said...

Bonne Année! Thankyou for following my blog. Best wishes for 2010.
xx.Cassandra

Celeste Goulding said...

The holly is beautiful!